Skip to content

The 4751st Air Defense Wing (Missile)

    [1 Apr 1960* – 1 Jul 1962], Eglin AF Aux Field #9 (Hurlburt Field), FL.  Description:  Azure, on a pile issuing from sinister base, Or between in chief a line of three mullets diminishing to dexter Argent fimbriated dark blue and in base an atomic symbol of four orbits of the last voided of the third; a missile bendwise Gules garnished of the fourth (nose band, wing tips, and lower fuselage), all within a diminutive border of the third.  Significance:  Our emblem is symbolic of the wing’s ability to employ defense missiles in either training or combat situations.  The stars, diminishing in size, denote a long-range capacity.  The nuclear symbol represents atomic warhead capability and symbolizes a constant quest for weapon and training improvement through science.  The AF colors, ultramarine blue and golden yellow, indicate the wing is a unit of the USAF.  The national colors, red, white, and blue, reflect the patriotism of our men.  Approved:  31 March 1959  Commentary:  After being training by Boeing, instructors in this wing developed and conducted the BOMARC training program, preparing missileers for duty at the BOMARC missile squadrons from the East Coast through the upper Midwest and Canada.  The organization was transferred from ADC to TAC on 1 July 1962.  *NOTE:  This wing was organized on 15 January 1958 as the 4751st Air Defense Missile Wing, but in 1960 that designation was changed to 4751st Air Defense Wing (Missile), as seen on this patch.  Patches with the original designation have not been seen.